Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Tasty Recycling




This week, my blog is highlighting two seafood dishes
created from recipes found in this old cookbook,
 I picked up at a used book sale, for a pittance. 


To my delight, everything I’ve made from this book is super easy and tastes great. One of the things I like about this cookbook is that the ingredients used in most of the recipes are items I would normally have in my pantry or in my freezer. All I have to do is supplement what I have with a trip for some fresh produce and Voila--dinner is served.  If you're looking for healthy dishes that don't require tons of work and strange ingredients, then you'll like these recipes.  

First, I made the Tuna Bean Salad and I have to say with a modicum of hubris, that I think my version turned out better than the one they pictured in the book.

Bean Salad With Tuna--Professional Picture
Bean Salad With Tuna--photo by me.
Don't you think this one looks better?


A week later, I tried the Shrimp Creole and again, I think my version was tastier than the one pictured in the cookbook. Rather than retype the recipes, I took some photos and hope you’ll try them and enjoy them as much as we did. 




Proof, that gourmet cooking might be possible by taking a gamble on old books at a library or even a thrift store.

(In my humble opinion: between fast food, Big Pharma and those celebrity chefs, there's a conspiracy to make us eat unhealthy foods or we have to pay through the nose for the good stuff at fancy restaurants. Trust me, I love trying new things at restaurants, but cooking our own delicious meals some of the time, might help keep all of us off expensive and dangerous medications.) 


Bon Appetit. 



8 comments:

  1. Admittedly I am not fond of seafood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, these look so good. and yes your photos are better.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  3. My seafood diet consists of salmon or tilapia. That's about it. Shellfish allergies run in the family, and I don't want to risk it! Ha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a shelf of old recipe books, but since I'm just cooking for me, the menu is simple. Tonight: Dilled salmon, steamed potate and peas. Old cookbooks are fascinating. Good purchase and, yes, your presentation was great. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love old cookbooks! That tuna salad looks delicious, great job "recycling"!

    ReplyDelete